CSM's new Walk Tall Honors Program provides opportunities for academically-successful students to gain experiences and broaden their viewpoints.
Each month, students in Honors Program attend events and activities together, both on- and off-campus. They learn about topics related to academics, arts, community and much more. After each event, students reflect on that experience by submitting a related assignment.
For example, the 2013-14 schedule includes:
Who Can Participate?
- Attending the Archbishop Curtiss Lecture on “Mary, Icon of the Laity”
- Seeing Los Valientes, a chamber music production on Latin American themes
- Making a meal together using recipes from CSM’s Common Reading book Hungry Planet
- Exploring the science of fear through an exhibit at the Durham Museum
The Walk Tall Honors Program is open to:
Why Take Part?
- Entering first year students who have ACT > 24, SAT > 1100, high school GPA > 3.75, or are in the top 10% of their class.
- Transfer undergraduate students new to College of Saint Mary with more than 12 credit hours of college level coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA greater than 3.50.
- Current CSM undergraduate students with more than 12 credit hours of college level coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA greater than 3.50.
Students will experience and reflect together as a community. These activities and the friendships that form make the experience both educational and fun! Students in the Walk Tall Honors Program also attend a special breakfast with the President of the College each semester, and are recognized at graduation with an honors medallion. Participation and completion are also noted on the official transcript.
What does it take to complete the program?
To complete the Walk Tall Honors Program, students must complete a minimum of four semesters in the program. There will be one Walk Tall activity each month during the academic year. To complete a semester in the program, students need to attend three of the four scheduled activities (plus the Breakfast) and successfully complete the assignments associated with them. All Walk Tall Honors students are strongly encouraged to participate each semester that they attend CSM. Participation during the final semester before graduation is required for program completion. Students who are less than 4 semesters from graduation, who cannot complete the program, are still welcome to participate.
Students complete a short application, including an essay. Once accepted, you will be enrolled in a zero credit hour course which will appear on your schedule and will be led by a Walk Tall Honors Program faculty member.
The first step is to complete the online application.