Inquire Now

Complaint Processes

College of Saint Mary – Complaint Processes In the spirit of providing our students with a quality education and offering an appropriate array of support services to the community, College of Saint Mary has taken steps to create an accessible complaint process. The complaint procedures have been established to address concerns that arise within the University community. In addition, the University has a federal obligation to track student and stakeholder complaints to help us monitor the quality of our operations and services.

Informal Complaint Process

A complaint is defined as occurring when an individual believes that any decision, act or condition affecting them is illegal, unjust or creates unnecessary hardship. When an individual encounters a problem on campus or feels there has been unfair treatment, he/she should first try to resolve the issue informally with the faculty, staff or department personnel directly involved. Many issues can be resolved by making an appointment to appropriately discuss the concern. If a complaint is not resolved through this action, the individual should contact the supervisor, program director or Associate Dean. For some types of complaints, CSM has established complaint procedures. In those cases, the procedures found in those policies will be followed. University personnel will be able to help identify these types of complaints and direct to individual to the appropriate policies and procedures. College of Saint Mary seeks to resolve all complaints in a timely and effective manner.

Formal Complaint Process

If an individual cannot find a resolution for the concern informally, a formal complaint can be submitted. The intention is to provide a procedure whereby complaints are processed promptly and resolved fairly. Individuals will submit a formal complaint using the Online Formal Complaint Form. Current MyCSM users may access the complaint form here. Non-MyCSM users will need to create an account by clicking here. The complaint will be forwarded to key individuals who will address the concern and communicate with the individual who submitted the formal complaint.

College of Saint Mary encourages individuals to work through internal university processes for resolution of complaints.

If an individual believes that the University's procedures have not adequately addressed concerns identified, this person may file a complaint through Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education. The University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. Instructions for filing a complaint in regard to academics at CSM can be found here.

Information for Additional

States College of Saint Mary is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). This consortium allows CSM to deliver courses online to students living in NC-SARA approved states. For more information about NC-SARA, visit What are my benefits as a student? | nc-sara. To see a complete list of states participating in NCSARA, see State Actions Regarding SARA | nc-sara. College of Saint Mary is authorized to enroll students in online courses who reside in all states, including the District of Columbia. Initial responsibility for the investigation and resolution of complaints resides with the institution against which the complaint is made. Please see the instructions above for filing a complaint with CSM. For complaints that cannot be resolved at the university level, the student should contact the appropriate state office. For students attending CSM’s campus in Omaha, the state office is Nebraska’s Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (see link above). For complaints that cannot be resolved at the university level, online students should contact the state office corresponding with their state of residence.

California: For all other states, go to SARA States & Institutions, click on the state of residence, and scroll down to the State Portal Entity Contact.