Our Catholic Identity
Grounded in the Roman Catholic Church, serving the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy
College of Saint Mary, grounded in the rich history and tradition of the Roman Catholic Church and the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy, provides a solid foundation for students, faculty and staff to grow and develop in an atmosphere rich in gospel values.Inspired by the Gospel vision of Jesus Christ and rooted in the tradition of the Church, College of Saint Mary:
- Seeks to bring the light of faith and the treasures of knowledge to the forefront of scholarship through mutually challenging and supportive intellectual inquiry.
- Respects the plurality of the academic environment encouraging the search for truth through discovery, discourse, critical thinking and communication.
- Inspires all to think more deeply about the world, one's purpose and responsibility towards the world, and one's identity in an atmosphere that values the dignity and worth of all people.
- Emphasizes social responsibility through systemic change inspired by the works of Mercy to further justice and peace in our world.
- Seeks to integrate faith with life through communal worship, sacraments and spirituality.
The passion of Catherine McAuley and the legacy of the Sisters of Mercy invites all at College of Saint Mary to actively witness justice and mercy through compassionate service to those in need, especially women and children. As a Catholic college, College of Saint Mary provides a faith-centered environment, rich with opportunities for engaging the intellect, the heart and the soul.
- Catholic Liturgy of the Eucharist is offered Monday through Friday at 12:05 p.m. in Our Lady of Mercy Chapel, a focal point of our campus.
- The Sacraments and Pastoral Care opportunities are available to students and staff alike.
- All students are required to take theology and philosophy as part of their core requirements. They are not required to be Catholic nor to attend Mass.
- Prayer, retreats and faith-sharing opportunities are an integral part of campus life.
- Students, faculty and staff engage in reflection on, and participation in, social justice issues and service projects.
- Justice and service immersion experiences are offered throughout the year
- Service Learning is an integral part of the curriculum.
Students, faculty and staff annually recommit themselves to the mission of College of Saint Mary.